Thursday, February 27, 2014

Religion vs. Relationship

Even back to Isaiah's time, this was a confusing subject.What's wrong with religion? Aren't works good things? Isn't memorizing scripture a good thing? Well, yes, of course! If you know the bible frontwards and backwards, inwards and outwards, that is a beautiful thing. If you follow every rule and feed the hungry, give money to the poor and take care of the widows and orphans like the Word says, that is also a beautiful thing.

The problem is that religion alone doesn't change anyone's heart...unless the actions are based on relationship rather than religion

Isaiah 28 is written as a warning to Jerusalem and Judah of what their wickedness and refusal to turn back to God was going to bring - Judah would be taken over by the Assyrians and Jerusalem was going to be destroyed. 

One thing that caught my attention this morning as I was reading, was how the priests and prophets in those regions were misleading the people with something that looks like this...

"For it is: Do and do, do and do, rule on rule, rule on rule, a little here and a little there." (28:10)

For the majority of my life, I was caught in this same cycle - do and do, do and do; rule on rule, rule on rule. Because I thought that God just wanted me to do everything right - perfect. The more I did, the more I thought God was smiling down on me with approval. But the reverse also happened: when I didn't do something right. If I fell into a sinful pattern or just didn't do "enough" in my own eyes, I thought God was shaking his head in disappointment at me. 

So in turn, I would try harder. I would vow to be better, to clean myself up and make myself "good". 

This is what religion does without relationship. It keeps you in a cycle of thinking works are your way to salvation - "Doing more, being better not only will get you to heaven, but it will give you more when you get there."

Isaiah continues to speak into this mindset by saying, "Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues God will speak to this people, to whom he said 'This is the resting place, let the weary rest'; and ' This is the place of repose' - but they would not listen. So then, the word of the Lord to them will become: Do and do, do and do; rule on rule, rule on rule; a little here, a little there - so that they will go and fall backward, be injured and snared and captured." (28:11-13) 

Have you ever felt God try to get you to rest? Have you felt the tug that says, "Hey, child, come here, sit down and rest with me. All your striving gets you nowhere unless you know me." ? 

I know I felt that, but like the stubborn Israelite's, I refused to rest. I continued thinking I just needed to work harder - and I did. And do you know what happened? I went and fell backward, was injured and snared and captured

Religion only gets you so far. And most of the time it only makes you exhausted - or prideful. 

"So this is what the Sovereign Lord says: 'See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed.'" (28:16) 

This is our stumbling block. Here, Isaiah is prophesying the coming of Jesus - the precious, perfect cornerstone who is our sure foundation. Isaiah is leading up to the New Covenant that says we have only to trust in Christ and we are saved - not by works, memorization or religion - but through the saving grace of Jesus Christ. 

It is that relationship that changes your heart. It's not only believing in Christ, but knowing him personally that your life changes and your heart fills...and eventually, your heart overflows with the goodness and beauty of that relationship and you can't help but do good things, take in His Word and be moved by it. 

That's the beauty of relationship. 

Religion says, "I'm pretty decent, but I could be better - so I'll try harder and show you who I make myself into." 

Relationship says, "There is no good thing in me, but You are good and I trust you. I want to know you - change me, because I cannot change myself." 

"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them." 
~ Jesus (via John 17:24-26)









1 comment:

  1. As alway, Tracy, beautifully put and very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete